This time of year can be a royal pain in the behind at times with regards to the weather. The sun likes to deceive us and then we leave the house with only a light jacket to find its actually arctic levels of freezing and don't even get us started on those hailstones. Sun one minute, golf ball sized hail the next.
Us Brits have to be prepared for it all, and so there's certain items that no Briton should be without. We've compiled the top ten spring essentials every Brit needs to own if they want to survive a Spring in the land of all weathers, and most of them should preferably be kept on your person at all times.
1. The umbrella - well of course this has to be the number 1 essential. It's best to carry a small umbrella in every bag you own just to avoid getting caught out!
2. The Parka Jacket- ah the parka, the jacket which will see you through every eventuality from muddy festivals to weekend trips abroad. Normally they are fleecy on the inside to keep you warm and have that all important waterproof exterior. Win win.
3. Wellington Boots - can you see a trend developing here? Welly boots are now seen as a pretty fashionable item though so you can easily get away with them for more than just a festival. We love the colourful Hunter styles.
4. A Pair of Sunglasses - did you know that the sun can harm your eyes even through clouds? Apparently in cities we are much more susceptible to sun damage because most of the time we don't even realise the sun is hitting us through all of the pollution. Always carry your favourite sunnies and even if you feel a bit silly wearing them on a cloudy day, we promise it's doing you good.
5. The multifunctional scarf- as well as your winter woolies, everyone needs a lighter scarf which can work with all of your outfits and easily be thrown into your bag. One amazing scarf can be tied around your hair when it gets warmer, around your neck when its a bit cooler and added to bag when you just need a bit of colour injected into the outfit.
6. A transitional dress - a dress that's easy to throw on in a fun floral print is a must for a british spring. Add tights and boots on colder days, go bare legged and add a denim jacket on warmer days.
7. A pair of 'wear with anything' boots - its not quite sandal weather but your ready to give up the winter shoes so a cute ankle boot is definitely your friend at this time of year. Wear with that dress we mentioned above and layer your legs as appropriate.
8. The lightweight knit - it may look sunny sometimes but once the sun goes so does any heat that came with it and you can be left rather cold come evening so a lightweight knit is the ideal in between. Keep it thin and easy to throw over tees and under jackets and that way it can be rolled up and slipped in your bag should the sun come out.
9. A great hair accessory- you know the scenario, you do your hair lovely first thing in the morning and by the time you reach the office having battled the elements you look as if you crawled backwards through a bush. Keep a jazzy hair accessory on you at all times to save you from having to survive a whole day of bad hair. Whether its a stylish bobble or glam headband, it's worth keeping in your handbag.
10. A bag big enough to fit all of the above!