After all of the sparkle, sequins and colour that surrounds our outfits over the festive season, heading back into work wear territory come January can seem, well, a little dull can't it? It's easy to get stuck in a style rut (don't we know it) and reach for those easy black and grey pieces and comfort clothing on a cold January morning.
But as we all know, a good outfit can do wonders for our mood, confidence and demeanour so even if its cold and dark outside and you are
only going to the office, making a little more effort with your work outfits can really make all the difference to getting through January unscathed. So here at ALOL we are aiming to 'dress up' a little more for the office and so far its been great fun! We thought we'd share some of our back to work outfit inspiration, the best celebrity and street style looks of course, which we've been gathering like crazy over on our Pinterest board
We've been getting inspired by the likes of Poppy Delevigne and Miroslava Duma and below are our style tips on how to make more of your work wear this year:
1. Keep it masculine
- we all love feminine looks but lets be honest, they do take more effort. If your version of work wear at the moment is jeans/ trousers and comfy shirts/ knits then you don't need to stray too far from that. Masculine styles can look sharp and totally chic as long as the cuts are right. Add at least one more girly piece such as the fur stole in the first look above, a statement necklace or a bright scarf and your look will be far from boring.
2. Add a fun print
- Poppy Delevigne's jeans and blazer look above is nothing special but the polkadot print of the trousers makes this look stand out and seem far more creative. We also love the embroidered panel of a plain pencil skirt as seen above or a simple polkadot silk shirt as worn by Clemence Poesy. Easy to do, yet makes a true statement.
3. Inject some colour
- Ok so not all of us could pull of Miroslava Duma's cobalt blue suit, but adding an injection of a bright colour like this will both lighten your mood and give you a lift in the style stakes. Not brave enough to do a coloured suit? Try a bright scarf or necklace or even a pair of colourful heels underneath a plain suit.
4. Stick with the classics
- classic accessories will always update a more plain work uniform, and it also means you don't need to spend loads buying new season pieces. Whatever you wear, add a classic yet chic bag, and the jewellery you feel comfortable in and you'll instantly feel more confident at work.
5. Choose your empowering item
- everyone has one thing which can give you that air of confidence even on the worst of bad hair days, whether its a slick of red lippy, your favourite sparkly heels or just a pendant that means something to you. On those days when you wake up tired and reluctant, throw this on and make it a great day!
What gives you confidence at work? Do you have any tips for making back to work less dull? Tweet us @annalouoflondon
or follow us on Facebook here