Poor old January really does get a rough deal - it must be everyone's least favourite month. After all of the festivities, sparkle and warmth that fills December, January is associated with grey winter mornings, dark days, back to work blues and boring non sparkly outfits. We liken January to a Monday - you always dread its arrival, it's terribly slow to get going and you're usually pretty glad when it draws to a close.
But why not turn January on its head and make it a month to remember? Let's be honest. so much of its dull demeanour is due to our bad attitudes (and of course the weather, which by the by is horrible right now). Why shouldn't January be a month to look forward to? So this 2014 we are vowing to beat the January blues and fill the month with as many exciting, fun and memorable activities as possible!
Here's our top tips on how to beat the January blues...
1. Take up a new hobby - well it is the month of resolutions after all so if your going to do something new this year, you really might as well start right now, otherwise it may be a resolution that gets relegated to the 'I'll definitely do it next year' bin. Putting your mind to something new will give you an exciting new focus and we bet you'll get so engrossed the month will fly by! So if you've always wanted to learn the drums, go fly fishing or take up sky diving - now is the time.
2. Listen to upbeat music - At the ALOL offices, we've decided to veto any sad or dreary songs this January and listen to fun, upbeat tunes that get us through the day with a smile. Music is a great way to lift your mood so why not download some new (happy) tracks to your ipod this month and make a 'work commute' playlist that will help you start your day with the right attitude.
3. Make time for friends - During January there is a tendency amongst most of us to want to stay indoors, huddle up under the duvet and drink endless cups of tea. While we're not against that at all (it might just be a favourite pastime for all of us), giving in to your hermit tendencies certainly doesn't help rid you of the blues. So although it seems like a huge effort to get up, get dressed and head out into the rain to see friends, do it anyway as good times and giggles will definitely leave you feeling happier.
4. Get glammed up - Ok so after too much partying over Christmas, the last thing you might want in January is to go out on the razzle dazzle, but even if it's just a wine and cheese party with the girls, we all love getting glammed up for the evening. And besides who said sparkle and stilettos are only for Christmas? Putting your new make up on and a posh frock will have you feeling like you again in no time.
5. Pamper yourself - a big part of the January blues for most of us is down to tiredness brought on after a super hectic end to the year. Put all those lovely lotions and potions you were given at Christmas to good use and give yourself a night (or a full day) of pampering.
6. Get plenty of fresh air - you know when your parents used to take you on long Sunday walks when you were younger and you hated them for it but you're now kind of coming around to the fact that they were on to something? Yup that's what we are talking about - put your wellies on, grab your dog/ husband/ kids and get a bit of fresh air in your lungs, unfortunately your parents were right - it's good for the soul.
What are your tips for getting through the January slump?
Tweet us @annalouoflondon, Follow us on Facebook or catch us on Instagram.